Tech Chat: Virtualization in Embedded Systems – MES034
Tech Chat: Virtualization in Embedded Systems with Baurzhan Ismagulov and Alexander Smirnov
Today we’re talking about virtualization in Embedded Systems. This is particularly different from host-based virtualization. For that reason I wanted to welcome major experts in this special area: Baurzhan Ismagulov and Alexander Smirnov from Ilbers – Technology for better life.
Ilbers provides Mango – a bare-metal Type 1 hypervisor. If you do not understand a word what this means – jump back to the previous episode #33 of the MES-podcast Combining the Uncombinable and fill up your missing knowledge. Mango was nominated for the Embedded Award 2015 at the Embedded World exhibition in Nuremberg. They have created a great piece of software which will provide a lot of benefit into embedded projects.
Already at the Embedded World I have had an amazing talk at their booth. But how much more deeper do we get into our todays tech-chat. We’re tackling the main use cases for using virtualization: combination and isolation. We’re discussing the main feature of Mango, as there are: static partitioning, bounded latency, no scheduler and a marvellous small footprint. And we come up with the general pros and cons of virtualization in embedded systems. For the latter have a look at Alexander’s talk at the Embedded Conference Scandinavia last year.
For all the ones out there who believe in doing things by themselves. Here’s the deal: Ilbers provides a Mango-demonstrator for the BananaPI. Just study their Getting Started Manual and give it a try.
But first, stay with me and enjoy the chat.
Essential Answers Provided In This Episode For:
- What are typical use-cases for Mango?
- What kind of hardware is supported by Mango?
- How does Mango intercept the performance of the guest operating system?
- What’s the interdependency between Mango and the processor’s caches?
- What are the benefits of using Mango?
- What are the differences to other virtualization solutions?
- How can I get as BananaPi-based demonstrator?
- What are the pros and cons of virtualization in Embedded Systems?
- And much much more.
Selected Links and Resources From This Episode
- Ilbers – Technology for better life
- Ilbers – Portfolio
- Mango – The Embedded Systems Hypervisor
- Mango – Github
- Baurzhan Ismagulov at LinkedIn
- Alexander Smirnov at LinkedIn
- Embedded Conference Scandinavia
- Embedded Conference Scandinavia program 2015
- The Embedded World Award
- Embedded World 2016
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!